The Backstory.

New York City - Broadway

The Backstory.

September 2013.

    A large collection of negative experiences meant that I finally decided I needed to move on and accelerate my life in a direction that I wanted it to go in. An ultimate goal of mine (and many others, I'm sure) was to live and study abroad, specifically America. The US is an excellent place to pursue studies, especially for a Brit, for various reasons.
- We all speak the same language (a definite plus).
- The culture isn't drastically different.
- (To be really boring) The academics provide excellent flexibility and allow you to begin studies as an 'undeclared' major meaning if you (like me) have no idea, or a couple of different ideas, you can start classes without it being detrimental.
- OPT. I can't express my excitement for this enough. After completion of a degree, you can complete one year of Optional Practical Training (a job) within the US, wherever you want. The only catch is that the work has to relate to your field of study.
    Once I decided that I definitely wanted to pursue this crazy adventure, a lot of research was needed. Where was I going to study? How does all of this work?
    Quite early on in my research, it was clear to me that a community college was the best way to go. They are cheaper (being the main attraction) and, often, share professors with the four-year institutions. 
    I had my heart set, instantly, on studying in New York. Looking at community colleges within New York state, I came up with a  shortlist of colleges that checked all of the boxes on my 'need' list and fulfilled quite a few on my 'want' list. The biggest 'need' was accommodation, which many colleges lack. 
    To cut a (very) long story short, I settled on Monroe Community College in Rochester, New York. This school seemed to fit my needs the best and the admissions staff were excellent with answering any queries I had.
    Application (Sent). Accepted (Yay!). Nerves (Well and truly set in).

Follow my blog with Bloglovin'

0 comments:

Post a Comment