Rochester Weather.

Rochester Weather.

May 2014.

You light a candle and the flame freezes.
    The school I am currently attending is located in Rochester, New York. Roughly a 6-hour drive north of New York City, the city is famed for it's spring Lilac Festival and internationally renowned Jazz Festival, as well as it's weather. Rochester is situated near Lake Ontario, and the wind contributes to multiple fairly chilly days. Having been here since January, I can quite comfortably say that I have seen more snow than ever before and there have, so far, been less than a week's worth of blue skies.
    As I have frequently heard, Rochester's weather is "so bipolar", in the sense that one day it may be 15 degrees and the next may be 60+ (and yes, Americans use Fahrenheit, which makes no sense). I have quickly learnt to cherish the rare moments of sun, but have also found many comforts in the cold (fuzzy socks, anyone?).
   At the moment, I believe it is Spring but the seasons here blend seamlessly into one another making it impossible to tell. Recently, there have been a few thunderstorms after full days of nice temperatures. Contrary to the masses of twitter posts from girls "petrified of the thunder and lightning", these really aren't that bad and provide quite a nice alternative to the snow.
   When the sun does decide to show it's face, it is humid to say the least. On multiple occasions, my hair has ended up looking like a lion's mane mixed with Rihanna's 2011 perm - a bad combination, I assure you.
   Overall, I think the weather in Rochester is good. I'm definitely not saying that I haven't resented walking over to classes in over 10 inches of snow, but it certainly makes a pleasant change from the dreary, bland, miserable weather in England.
   Snow (Plenty). Boots (A necessity). Sun (Getting there.. slowly).

Blue skies emerging.
The trees are whistling for dogs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment